Laser Blasts 2 Megajoule Beam 1,000 Times Stronger Than All U.S. Power Plants Combined
You might already know a little bit about what the National Ignition Facility has been up to lately, or what they could possibly achieve. But last week, even the scientists at the Livermore, California station couldn't predict the awesome power that their humongous laser was capable of. NIF's laser is already the record holder for the world's largest laser, and now it can also claim to be the first ever 2 megajoule ultraviolet laser after it generated nearly 100 times more energy than any other laser in operation today.
The record breaking 2.03 MJ burst of ultraviolet energy all started with a single laser. That laser was split into 48 separate laser beams. Those beams were then redirected using mirrors and shot into amplifiers. After bouncing around, that single beams quickly turned into 192 individual rays and were once again amplified. That tiny one billionth of a joule laser instantly became a 2.03 million joules monster for just a fraction of a second.
But still, in just 23 billionths of a second, it produced a pulse of energy that contained 411 trillion watts (TW) of peak power. That's 1,000 times stronger than all of the energy used at any instant time from U.S. power plants combined.
They weren't shooting this laser at anything, but just imaging what would happen when they do actually get around to firing at a target, which is trying to achieve fusion ignition and energy gain in a lab setting.
- Send Your Secret Spy Messages Wirelessly Through Light with This DIY Laser Audio Transmitter
- How to Hook up an iPod to a laser
- How to Automate Your Doorbell with Freaking Lasers
- How to Connect different laser diodes to a power supply
- How to Use a laser pointer without causing eye damage
- How to Focus your laser to make it burn
- How to Earn the 'Frickin' Laser Beams Trophy' in Resistance 3 on the PS3
- How to Make a simple laser communicator
- How to Send secret messages with a laser
- Mod Your NES Duck Hunt Zapper into a Real-Life Laser Gun
- How to Turn a flashlight into a laser
- How to Make a prop pen flashlight powered Star Trek phaser
- How to Turn a 5MW laser into a 100MW laser
- How to Hack a laser pointer into a burning laser
- How to Create a laser blast in After Effects
- How to Build a Laser Tripwire and Alarm with Snap Circuits
- This DIY Passion Fruit Battery Can Power Lasers!
- Making Electromagnetic Weapons: Flashlamp Lasers
- Making Electromagnetic Weapons: Lasers, Part One
- National Ignition Facility: Big, Giant Lasers of Doom... Or Endless Energy?