In this article, I'll show you how to make a small, wallet-sized device that generates electricity from kinetic energy. The concept is simple: Piezoelectricity is the charge that is produced when certain solid materials (commonly ceramic and crystal) in response to mechanical stress. Piezoelectrics have many applications; in speakers, actuators, sensors, even fuses. For more information, click here.
First, find yourself a couple small, identical LEDs. These are virtually everywhere; in cellphones, remotes, flashlights, most coffee makers, etc. You can find them at most (every) electronics store, or extract them from old electronics. Second, you'll need a piezoelectric disk. These can be found in digital watches, digital clocks, computers, and many other devices. I extracted mine from an old digital watch with an alarm. You'll also need some fluxcore solder.
A soldering iron and some "helping hands" (a little device that sits on your desk, made up of two spring-clips (alligator clips). Not necessary, but makes life easier)
Take your LEDs and identify their polarities. Since its not necessary which polarity is which as long as they are opposite, just look for similarities in the LEDs, and reverse them. Typically, a piezoelectric disk should have a metal outer-rim, and an inner circle made of a less-than-shiny material. That's one polarity, and the outer-rim is the other. Carefully solder the LEDs to your piezoelectric disk WITHOUT overheating them or the disk, and let dry. To test, simply flick the disk NOT aggressively, and observe the blinking LEDs.
- Don't use too much solder, it will look ugly and impair electricity generation
- Use tweezers to place the LEDs on the piezo disk, it makes life easier and saves unnecessary burns
- Use a fine-point soldering iron, it works better for small components
- Soldering irons are hot!! Don't burn yourself
- Don't overheat the piezo disk!! It damages it
- Same goes for the LEDs
- Don't over-stress the piezo disk, they are VERY FRAGILE!
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades