I'm sure most everyone has some kind of fluorescent light source in their home; those long white tubes that emit a bright white light when turned on, or maybe a few of the CFL power-saver bulbs. These bulbs actually require very little "power" (i.e. a high voltage:almost no current ratio) to emit light. In fact, static electricity is enough to make them flicker. Inside these tubes is a gas, and when electricity flows through that gas, it gets "excited" and produces light.
Using this same simplistic concept, we can power these bulbs with electricity flowing "on the surface" of our skin. However, first it's necessary to create the voltage. This can be achieved by "charging" up our bodies with high voltage (harmless; almost no current), then touching a fluorescent tube.
Two possible circuits can be used as the voltage source. The first one is intended to wirelessly transmit energy, but you can use it with a small modification. Once you've built the device, attach a wire from the high voltage output to your skin. MAKE SURE you are not grounded and have attached the wire to yourself before turning the device on. This means standing on a plastic chair, wearing rubber-soled shoes, etc. However, BE CAREFUL! Touching anything grounded will result in a startling shock similar to a static shock from a doorknob. Once turned on, hold a fluorescent tube in your hand. It will light up!!
Note: The first circuit modification should only be attempted by those with extensive experience in electricity, high-voltage, and general electrical safety.
The second circuit, and probably the easiest and most effective, can be found here, with no modifications needed. Simply hold a fluorescent tube with the device turned on! Here's a video demonstration:
- Again, high voltage is very, very dangerous!!! Do not attempt either of these circuits unless you know what you're doing!
- Fluorescent tubes can break easily, resulting in very sharp glass shards. Be careful!
- I am not responsible for any damage or harm you cause.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades